The San Mateo County Bar Association has two (2) job openings for its Private Defender Program (PDP).
Assistant Managing Attorney
The Assistant Managing Attorney is a new position that will work with and report directly to the Managing Attorney of the Adult Division and will be responsible for implementing and overseeing the PDP mentorship program for misdemeanor and low-level felony attorneys.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the recruitment, training, development, and evaluation of PDP panel attorneys.
- Regularly attend court proceedings to observe panel attorneys’ interactions with judges, opposing counsel, and clients.
- Provide support and mentorship to panel attorneys and monitor caseloads of attorneys to ensure compliance with caseload standards.
- Arrange for the presentation of continuing legal education seminars relevant to the needs of panel attorneys.
- Monitor developments in the laws that impact the representation of our clients. Where appropriate, they will devise trainings and develop plans for implementing those changes.
Supervising Social Worker
The Supervising Social Worker is a new position that will work collaboratively with the program administrators and report directly to the Chief Defender. The supervising social worker will develop collaborative relationships with other justice system partners to include the court’s mental health treatment team, the district attorney, and probation; will be knowledgeable about community-based resources, forge relationships with providers and facilitate client enrollment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a new panel of social workers who will work with attorneys representing indigent defendants as part of an interdisciplinary team including investigators, experts and paralegals.
- Recruit qualified social workers to join the panel, and then oversee the work to ensure the social workers on the panel provide high quality work.
- Create policies and procedures for the panel of social workers.
- Train PDP attorneys and investigators on how to identify the existence of specific mental and developmental disorders and/or disabilities, and how social workers can assist in the defense of clients.
How to Apply:
(1) cover letter explaining qualifications and interest;
(2) current resume;
(3) four references who are familiar with your legal work and at least one who you have supervised or mentored; and
(4) a writing sample consisting of original legal writing. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Apply through LinkedIn
Competitive Salary and Benefits.
-Principals only. Recruiters please don’t contact job poster.
-Do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
-No phone calls please.
Respond by March 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
The San Mateo County Bar Association – Private Defender Program is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.
To learn more about the Private Defender Program, please visit the PDP’s website.