The purpose of the Private Defender Program Oversight Committee is to insure the efficient and just operation of the Association’s Private Defender Program relating to the representation of indigents accused of crime and the representation of others as may be entitled to the services of the Association.
- The Committee shall have responsibility for advising the Chief Defender of the Private Defender Program, as to the operations of the Program and expending funds in accordance with policies of the Board of Directors.
- The Committee shall make recommendations to the Board of Directors as to the initiation of programs and policies and relating to the appropriation of funds allowed to the Program.
- The Chief Defender shall convene a special committee to select a recipient of the annual Dennis L. Woodman Memorial Award, honoring a member of the Private Defender Program panel. If a special committee is not convened, the Private Defender Program Oversight Committee may select a recipient of the annual Dennis L. Woodman Memorial Award, if the Committee determines a suitable candidate exits.
- The Committee shall meet at least quarterly. From time to time as required by the Board of Directors, the Committee shall report with respect to the operation of the program and with regard to the expenditure of funds.
- All members of the Committee and all Administrative personnel attached to the Program will work together in order to assure high standards of excellence in all aspects of this endeavor.
- The Committee shall consist of a chairperson and six regular members at least three of whom shall be active members of the Private Defender Program panel, and three of whom shall have at least five years panel participation, and have experience handling serious felony cases. Regular members shall serve a term of two years and may not serve successive terms. Appointment of committee members shall be staggered, so that approximately one-half (1/2) of the committee shall consist of new members. The chairperson shall serve a term of one year, but may serve successive terms, not to exceed four years.
- A member of the Board of Directors shall be appointed and shall report to the Board of Directors as the liaison and the immediate past chairperson of the committee may be appointed, to serve as special members of the committee. The Board liaison shall not be an active member of the Private Defender Program. Special members shall serve a term of one year. The special member shall also report on the contract negotiation with the county.
- Notwithstanding anything in this Article to the contrary, the Private Defender Program Oversight Committee shall be a permanent committee and shall be dissolved only upon amendment to the Bylaws.
Chair: David Avila
303 Twin Dolphin Dr. Suite 600 Redwood City, CA 94065
To learn more about the Private Defender Program, please click here.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]