How do I report my compliance for the 2017-2020 Reporting Period?
If you are in Group 3 (N-Z), the deadline to complete your MCLE requirements for the 2017-2020 reporting period is January 31, 2020. If you completed your credits, submit your report of compliance no later than February 03, 2020 by logging into My State Bar Profile and completing the Online Summary Log.
All active attorneys practicing law in California are required to complete ongoing legal training. A total of 25 hours is required every three years. If you are in Group 3 your 25 hours must be completed between February 1, 2017 through January 31, 2020.
- Attorneys must fulfill at least one-half of their MCLE requirement with activities approved for “participatory” MCLE credit.
- Maximum “self-study” hours: 12.5 hours
- Special Requirements within the total hours required (may be taken as participatory or self-study):
- Legal Ethics: 4 hours (required)
- Competence Issues (formerly known as Prevention, Detection and Treatment of Substance Abuse or Mental Illness): 1 hour (required)
- Recognition and Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession and Society: 1 hour (required)
Attorneys are responsible for tracking their own hours. The State Bar of California provides a Personal MCLE Log form you can download and use to keep track of your credit hours. SMCBA members can view and download their MCLE certificates by logging in to their SMCBA profiles. View the Instructions on How to Print MCLE Certificates.