San Mateo County Bar Association (Provider #287) is a Multiple Activity Provider licensed by the State Bar of California. SMCBA works in conjunction with various organizations in San Mateo County to provide a mirad of Mandatory Continuing Legal Education courses for its members. Over 160 hours of continuing education credits are made available to members each year!
Attorney members of the State Bar of California must take 25 hours of approved MCLE every 3 years. SMCBA offers MCLE to all its members who are in the legal profession . These MCLE classes will enhance the member’s professional ability to practice law, and knowledge of law, including the obligations and professional standards as a member of the State Bar of California.
We offer our members exclusive online registration for MCLE events. Also, each January SMCBA holds a 7 hour MCLE event entitled “Funky Credit Day” where members can obtain those hard to find credits, such as, Ethics, Elimination of Bias and Competence Issues.
The State Bar of California
Minimum Continuing Legal Education
|GROUP 1 (A-G)
Group 1 members with last names beginning with A-G.
|GROUP 2 (H-M)
Group 2 members with last names beginning with H-M.
|GROUP 3 (N-Z)
Group 3 members with last names beginning with N-Z.
Total hours required every three years: 25 hours
- Members must fulfill at least one-half of their MCLE requirement with activities approved for “participatory” MCLE credit.
- Maximum “self-study” hours: 12.5 hours
- Special Requirements within the total hours required (may be taken as participatory or self-study):
- Legal Ethics: 4 hours (required)
- Competence Issues (formerly known as Prevention, Detection and Treatment of Substance Abuse or Mental Illness): 1 hour (required)
- Recognition and Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession and Society: 1 hour (required)